Friends of Hardy
The Friends of Hardy is a volunteer local organization partnering with DC Department of Parks & Recreation. The organization is committed to the upkeep and preservation of the Hardy Recreation Center and Field, located on Q Street at 45th Street NW.
To join or volunteer to participate in various Friends of Hardy efforts, contact Dave Buchanan, President, 202-342-5616.
We strive to:
- Create and maintain a safe, attractive environment and appropriate programming for pre-school children, school children, and adults
- Enhance and beautify the building, grounds and equipment
- Ensure the safety of Hardy as a gathering place for residents of all ages
- Promote programs and projects that meet the needs and interests of local residents
- Collaborate with DC Department of Parks & Recreation to make effective use of city resources at Hardy
- Provide liaison between local residents and the organizations that operate and use Hardy
- Make participation in Friends of Hardy an enjoyable and rewarding experience
Hardy Recreation Center
See the DC Department of Parks & Recreation website or check with center staff for a current list of activities and facilities offered.
Rules and Permits for Use
A permit is required for the use of any DPR facility under the following situations:
- For more than 10 people for an hour or more
- For organized leagues
- For special events (including children’s parties on the playground!)
- To make a reservation for a multipurpose room
Even with a permit, use of the field after heavy rains is prohibited to avoid long-lasting damage to the turf. To determine whether or not the soccer field can be used, call (202) 637-7680.
In the fall and spring, a Stoddert League has permits for use of the field for soccer most days.